Sunday, February 17, 2008

508 miles in 24 hours!

I had a three day weekend, the girlfriend was of town, the weather was dry, and I had a full tank of gas. I pulled out a map, plotted a route that would take me into the heart of the San Joaquin Valley and back to San Francisco. This was to be the first time I took the scooter beyond 15 miles of my house! I packed an extra set of clothes, hygienic supplies, map, compass (anachronistic, I know. Ha Ha), water, some extra gasoline, motor oil, factory tool set, philips screwdriver, needle nose pliers, clean rags, small flashlight, Leatherman Wave tool, camera, tire plug kit, dial type tire gauge, shades, and sunscreen.



Getting on the freeway and hitting an indicated 65-71 m.p.h. was a little spooky! I'd like to add here that I don't believe novice riders should try this. Such an endeavour is risky and shouldn't be taken lightly. I cautiously made it out of the S.F. Bay Area, via highway 101 and the road risks tapered off. I stopped in the hills in the Pacheco Pass area for a stretch, walk around, and some water. So far so good.

No comments: